26 Jan Williams Pears
Make the most of in season William pears to make scrumptious summer desserts.
William pears are a medium to large pear with yellow skin when ripe, and white juicy flesh. Due to their high sugar content, they are commonly used in canning and for desserts.
Tips for choosing the right pear
- Choose pears that are firm and plump.
- Ripen at room temperature for 3-5 days, then store in the fridge.
- Try them in fruit salads, tarts, cakes and served with cheese and biscuits.
- Brush peeled or cut fruit with lemon or lime juice to prevent browning.
- Pears can be substituted for apples in most recipes.
- Pears can be poached, grilled, baked, sauteed or even barbecued.
- Poached Pears with Caramel Sauce
- Soften 500ml vanilla ice-cream and add 1/2 cup chopped pistachios. Freeze until firm.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup sugar, 4 cups water and 1 split vanilla bean to the boil.
- Stir to dissolve sugar, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Arrange 4 peeled pears in syrup.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 min.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool in liquid.
- Serve with ice-cream and caramel sauce.